Newbie Updating Question

Erik Rossen rossen at freesurf.ch
Fri Jan 9 08:49:52 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:01:30PM -0800, Stephen A. Witt wrote:
> I read where FAI is used to both "install" and "update" a Debian
> installation. I sort of understand the installation part (well, I'm
> working on it), but I don't understand the update part, unless update
> means reinstall with an updated FAI configuration. It seems that when
> updating you'd fall back on the normal Debian dselect/apt-get update
> mechanisms, or is there something that does this in FAI that I'm missing.

FAI out of the box does not have an update mechanism for
already-installed machines.

However, a few of us (me anyway) have used the class structures, config
files, and FAI tools to build automatic update scripts that install new
packages, change config files, and run one-time jobs.

Apart from that, there may have been occasional discussions here about
ISconf (http://www.isconf.org/, www.infrastructures.org) which was
purposely designed to maintain systems.

--
Erik Rossen                          ^    OpenPGP key: 2935D0B9
rossen at freesurf.ch                  /e\   "Use GnuPG, see the