setup_harddisks

Wed Feb 25 11:48:15 CET 2004

    > Hi,
    > Is there any sort of roadmap for setup_harddisks? I know LVM gets asked for
    > a lot, and I presume it still isn't supported natively.

Sam Vilain wrote a mail on 16 Oct 2003 how he uses RAID and LVM with
FAI. Have a look at it.

    > A friend of mine is looking at rewriting it in C (for some insane reason),
    > and I'm asking on his behalf if there would be any likelyhood of getting it
    > including in FAI, replacing the existing system.
I also have the idea to rewrite setup_harddisks completely. I started
thinking about this a few years ago, but there's still not enough time
to do it. A few weeks ago, I looked into paterd_server which is part
of the new debian installer. This seems very interesting to me,
because we can use the interface to implement a new tool in perl. I
did some testing and the communication to the parted_server works.
parted_server uses the libparted library, so all archs and partitions
types are supported.

Keep in mind that a complete new tool will take several months of full
work to create a fist release! Your friend should not start coding if
he does not have that much time and if he can't maintain and extend
his tool some years after the first release. A one shot tool without a
maintainer is useless for us all.

And before starting coding, spend a lot of time (and mails) on
discussing the config file format. Don't forget non DOS disk partition
types. When at least his tool is good and stable, I will include it
into FAI.