setup_harddisks

Holger Levsen fai at layer-acht.org
Wed Feb 25 08:04:59 CET 2004

Hi,

> Is there any sort of roadmap for setup_harddisks? I know LVM gets asked for
> a lot, and I presume it still isn't supported natively.
>
> I think a lot of the limitations of the current method revolve around the
> fact that there's a single config file that is trying to describe the
> partitioning layout, as well as the filesystem types. When you want to
> incorporate a new layer (like with LVM and RAID), it just doesn't fit into
> this model.
>
> A friend of mine is looking at rewriting it in C (for some insane reason),
> and I'm asking on his behalf if there would be any likelyhood of getting it
> including in FAI, replacing the existing system.

although I like the idea of rewriting software to improve it, I dislike the
idea of adding C programms or other binaries to FAI. (I'm not totally
opposed, but I dislike the idea ;-)

right now there is only one FAI package for all archs and I believe that is
good. there are enough arch spezific issues anyway ;)

regards,
	holger