amd64 help needed

leblanc at byu.edu leblanc at byu.edu
Thu Dec 30 17:50:24 CET 2004

Well,
  I decided to give a 64-bit environment a chance on our Opteron cluster. So
far things have gone ok. I ran into a couple of problems and got through
them, but this one has me stumped. I have the nfsroot all set-up and
configured. The node boots the 64-bit install kernel mounts everything ok,
partitions the disk and then goes to install the software and I get this:

Couldn't stat source package list file: sarge/main Packages
(/tmp/target/var/lib/apt/lists/_tmp_target_mnt2_pure64_dists_sarge_main_bina
ry-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list file: sarge/contrib Packages
(/tmp/target/var/lib/apt/lists/_tmp_target_mnt2_pure64_dists_sarge_contrib_b
inary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list file: sarge/non-free Packages
(/tmp/target/var/lib/apt/lists/_tmp_target_mnt2_pure64_dists_sarge_non-free_
binary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list file: sarge/main Packages
(/tmp/target/var/lib/apt/lists/_tmp_target_mnt2_pure64_dists_sarge_main_bina
ry-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list file: sarge/contrib Packages
(/tmp/target/var/lib/apt/lists/_tmp_target_mnt2_pure64_dists_sarge_contrib_b
inary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list file: sarge/non-free Packages
(/tmp/target/var/lib/apt/lists/_tmp_target_mnt2_pure64_dists_sarge_non-free_
binary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Now at the end of the fai install, I can go into a shell and run apt-get
update and the only errors that I get is that the root is read-only. I have
my mirror mounted at /tmp/target/mnt2/pure64 on the install clients. My
first inclination is to just chroot to the install root and run apt-get
update, but since the install server is i386 (still Opteron, but running
32-bit) I can not run the /bin/bash binary since it is 64-bit. Any ideas on
how to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

--
Robert LeBlanc