getting a console

BRINER Cedric work at infomaniak.ch
Tue Dec 14 15:58:30 CET 2004

sorry,
I've made a mistake by asking directly Henning instead a using the
mailing list.
-----

------ this is my question to the list ---------------
 >> I've tried the flag you've proposed and
 >> - add  FAI_FLAGS="verbose createvt" to the /etc/fai/fai.conf
 >> - do the make-fai-nfsroot
 >> - re-install my workstation
 >>
 >> still not working : (
 >>
 >> And how should you use it ?

------- and this is the reponse from Henning ---------------
I use it exactly this way:
in my nfsroot's /etc/fai/fai.conf, there exists a line

FAI_FLAGS='createvt sshd syslogd conffcopy savestatus'

(note:the last two are non-standard flags interpreted by locally written
code)

I have one idea what maybe wrong in your case:
the FAI_FLAGS from /etc/fai/fai.conf are overwritten later by the
dhcp-stored configuration (or the flags given on the kernel command line, in
case you are using a floppy or have FAI_FLAGS in your syslinux config if you
are booting via tftp)

 >> Because normaly in an debian installation you can press 'Ctrl+Alt+F2'
 >> and get a new Virtual Terminal

Don't expect FAI to behave like any "standard" installer... it has no
code in
common with bootfloppies or debian-installer (except maybe calling apt to
install software ;) )

Cedric Briner