DHCP on two networks

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Thu Dec 2 19:24:13 CET 2004

> Trying to "fai-sysinfo" a box that is connected to two networks. Both
> nets are provided with DHCP service, but (of course) only one of them is
> under my (and FAI's) control.
> (This is an Alpha DS10, with two tulip interfaces. But the same would
> apply to Intel machines, too.)
>
> (BTW, is there a way to control the order of interfaces?)
Does it really matter? At least, the order should never change.

> Are there suggestions how to handle this situation?
Where is the problem?

> I found that I would have to use the _last_ interface for FAI, otherwise
> it would try to NFSmount from the DHCP server.
So - one interfaces is provided with bootp-data, and the other one with
DHCP? Does that mean, that your DHCP/BOOTP-server both provide default
routes, i.e., you have two default routes, if your machine is finally set
up?

> Since I properly booted the kernel from the FAI server (it's the only
> one that responds to the BOOTP request!) there might be a way to save
> this information until the connection is to be made again, or would that
> be too hard?
[...]

Sorry, but I didn't really get the point - could you please provide some
more information?

Thanks,