make-fai-nfsroot cross-platform?

Holger Levsen fai at layer-acht.org
Wed Dec 1 17:35:25 CET 2004

Hi,

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 16:59, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> Is there a simple way (besides running this on native alpha) to build
> the nfsroot for the other architecture?

No. After the debian-base-archiv has been untared, the scripts chroots into
the yet-to-be-build nfsroot and tries to execute binary inside it. These
binaries are alpha-binaries and don't work on i386,...

> (It's kind of hen-and-egg problem since I don't have an Alpha with
> Debian installed, that's why I tried to FAI...)

I think you have to test the new debian-installer ;-) (Please submit a
bugreport...) although another linux-installation on alpha should be
sufficient - but you don't have one accessable ? Qemu doesn't emulate alpha
(yet?).

Since I once also ran into this problem I now keep backups of my
i386+ppc-nfsroots... they're part of the FAI_CONFIGDIR and "only" 95mb in
size (each).

regards,
 Holger (who really has to update his howto on fai&ppc)