make-fai-nfsroot cross-platform?

Wed Dec 1 17:15:44 CET 2004

    > I want to set up a FAI server on an Intel box, but to install to Alphas.

    > So I copied everything from /etc/fai to /etc/fai.alpha, and changed the
    > corresponding references to alpha mirror, new nfsroot path, etc.
    > I also set --arch alpha in make-fai-nfsroot.conf.

    > What I get from make-fai-nfsroot -c /etc/fai.alpha is
This will NEVER work!

Calling make-fai-nfsroot for another architecture can not work because
you will call some commands in the chroot of another architecture. So
you have to execute an alpha binary on an intel box. Can you? NO!

You have to create the nfsroot on the same architecture. Then, it's
possible to tranfer a tarball of it to another machine serving as NFS
server.