Some issues

Tue Aug 31 15:57:28 CEST 2004

    > Please consider using this in your examples, too.
Will be made in the future.

    > Not in kernel, no module. Probably commented out by mistake?
    > (CONFIG_FS_XFS is set to "m" in kernel-config from fai-kernels 1.7.1)
xfs is on by default only in the 2.6 kernel from fai-kernel, not in the 2.4
kernel.

    > I'm now trying to figure out how to netboot an Alpha: the naked kernel
    > doesn't do the trick, and a boot floppy seems to be impossible (large
    > kernel, no boot loader). Any ideas from the list?
You can make the kernel smaller by removing unused network devices.
>From the README of fai-kernel:

How to save space on the boot floppy
------------------------------------
If you need a smaller kernel image to fit on a floppy disk, you can
remove some network drivers, that you don't need for booting and
mounting the nfsroot. If you have a math coprocessor, disable the math
emulation (nearly 80k). Here's a list for kernel 2.4.24 with the size
of some drivers.

20144 8139too.o
21564 pcnet32.o
21868 3c505.o