Congrats

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 28 21:16:09 CEST 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 06:23:38PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> - start the update-process from one single server, not on the client
Update has to be done on the client: how else can it access the local
filesystem ? In my setup, the server starts the update processes on the
clients via the backdoor-sshd.

> - push the conffiles to the client
In my setup, clients do a cvs update as the first step.

> - tell the client, what to do with the new files
>
> For all of that I intend to use cvs-hooks and the rcsinfo-file; there I
> specify the command to run on the destination host;

I began implementing this, but canceled the automatic-push cvs hook really
fast:
as every human, an administrator may make mistakes. so before pushing
conffiles to clients and killing 100 computer whith just one cvs commit,
the new configuration has to be tested.
Ideally you have a group of test clients, where you carefully observe the
consequences of your changes. only if no problems occur there, you mark
them as ready-for-production-use (we do this by "cvs tag"ing them STABLE).

The second problem: you can't update too many machines at the same time
because of the cvs locking problems and the high network load, so
when implementing a cvs hook, you have to do it in a sequence of groups of
machines.

> BTW: What did you mean by "the FAI-Manual" - the fai-guide? The one from
> your packages or the official one?

the official one... most of the stuff in the packages published on the
website is not up-to-date.

--
c u
henning