some remarks about fai 2.6, especialy on powerpc

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 8 18:45:32 CEST 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Holger Levsen wrote:

> The default values of FAI_LOCATION (/usr/local/share/fai) and NFSROOT
> (/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot) violate FHS 2.2. Should be /var/lib/fai/config and
> /var/lib/fai/nfsroot, where I would even prefer /var/lib/fai/nfsroot/$ARCH
> Thomas, we've already talked about this and FHS 2.3 (which is current, but not
> used in sarge) says, FAI should use the new /srv-hierarchy instead, so you
> said, you don't want to change the paths to not confuse people who are used
> to FAI twice. I really think /usr/local/share/fai is a serious bug against
> debian policies - but if noone else complains I won't submit it as a serious
> bug.

	I personally prefer /usr/local to /var/lib, but I don't see it as
a serious bug because this is created by the sysadmin. (Would /var/local/
be a bad place?)

> make-fai-nfsroot fails/stops after:
> Creating base.tgz
> mkdir: cannot create directory /var/lib/fai/nfsroot/var/state': File exists
> No diversion Diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe by fai', none removed
>
> Unfortunatly I don't have the time _now_ (maybe tonite, hopefully tomorrow) to
> look further into it, why this happens. make-fai-nfsroot on i386 worked just
> fine here.

	On i386 I got the same thing this weekend. I did not really
diagnose the problem (i.e. whether there is some logic error) but I
patched the problem in the obvious way:

========

*** make-fai-nfsroot    Sun Aug  8 12:19:27 2004
--- make-fai-nfsroot.new        Sun Aug  8 12:15:07 2004
***************
*** 255,261 ****
      >  lib/modules/$KERNELVERSION/modules.dep  # dirty trick to hoax lvm
      echo 'NTPSERVERS=""' > etc/default/ntp-servers

!     [ -d $NFSROOT/var/state ] || mkdir $NFSROOT/var/state
      [ "$verbose" ] && echo "Try to copy $cfdir/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list."
      cp -v $cfdir/sources.list $NFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list || \
        cp -v /etc/apt/sources.list $NFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list || \
--- 255,261 ----
      >  lib/modules/$KERNELVERSION/modules.dep  # dirty trick to hoax lvm
      echo 'NTPSERVERS=""' > etc/default/ntp-servers

!     mkdir $NFSROOT/var/state
      [ "$verbose" ] && echo "Try to copy $cfdir/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list."
      cp -v $cfdir/sources.list $NFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list || \
        cp -v /etc/apt/sources.list $NFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list || \

======

	(I hope this patch is not in a bad format).

	One complaint from me: I want the "make-fai-nfsroot finished
$merror" line to be the final thing printed. I got confused and did not
realize that the nfsroot built properly because I saw some message about what
was mounted when. (Yes, this was my fault but I see this as a usability
flaw.)

- Paul