debian automatic installation methods

Jin Zhao jzhao at qcorps.com
Wed Aug 4 23:26:49 CEST 2004

First, I am not sure if this is the place for my question. I know this
is the list for fai, but I have a more general question about all these
different methods for automating debian installations.

I was a long time redhat user. Recently I started converting my servers
from Redhat to Debian and find myself facing multiple ways for automatic
installation -- fai, replicator, systemimager, autoinstall. Before
deeply digging into these differents beasts,  I hope to hear suggestions
from people who know debian much better than me. Can anybody introduce
your own experiences with these methods and also your preferences for them?

My server farm is composed of machines with relatively differrent
hardware setup -- different cpus (Intel, AMD), differrent disk
controllers (Adaptec U320 SCSI, Adaptec U160 SCSI, 3wares SATA), and
more servers are coming in weeks, most of which are 3wares SATA, Xeon
servers. From what I learned so far, auto-install and fai seem more
flexible than others. I am currently testing auto-install and will try
fai later.

Any ideas are welcome. Hopefully people won't give me suggestion on fai
only. :)

Thank,

Jin