FAI on Sparc with nfsroot for multiple architectures?

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 29 13:57:11 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 01:36:14PM +0200, jimmy at g-tec.co.at wrote:
> I've just started using FAI and need to know if there's a way to handle
> other architectures, too.
> I have a Debian sparc machine that should be the install server. All
> other machines are i386. I realized that it doesn't work to create a
> nfsroot for i386 on the sparc machine but I still think this "problem"
> should be solvable, right? Would it work to provide Debian packages for
> different nfsroots?
> Any comments appreciated.
the problem: FAI nfsroot creation involves calling "debootstrap", which
in term involves exectuting target-architecture binary code.
Some thoughts:

- create the nfsroot on a i386 machine (either to a no_root_squish nfs
  export from your sparc, or copy the result to the server)

- use something ugly like bochs...

--
c u
henning