how do you distribute secrets ?

Holger Levsen hl at hbt.de
Mon Apr 26 11:38:37 CEST 2004

Hi,

after reading your answers we discussed the issue and came to the
following conclusions:

- no local passwords (no root login or su, only sudo; users get
authorized against LDAP/Kerberos or ssh public keys)
- ssh and ssl host keys are generated during first installation on the
clients; then these keys are stored on a /backup-Partition (with
lazyformat) in a root-readonly directory; all following installations
use these keys unless the hard disc gets broken & replaced or the system
is re-installed from the ground or the like.

- no sshd on the install clients (security measure)
- since FAI is only used in our interior network we life with the
threats of NFS and MAC-spoofing. If we need more securiy we'll rely on
hardcoded mac-adresses within the switches and on special bootdiscs
(also with hardcoded mac adresses) for each and every system.

thanks for your inspiration,
	Holger

--

Hamburger Berater Team GmbH     Telefon: 040/369779-0
Stadthausbrücke 3 (Fleethof)    Telefax: 040/369779-99
20355 Hamburg                   eMail  : hl at hbt.de
				Web    : http://www.hbt.de