disk format of Compaq Smart Array (cciss) fail

Frédéric BOITEUX fboiteux at calistel.com
Fri Apr 2 10:18:24 CEST 2004

Le Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:42:23 +0200, Olaf Rogalsky <Olaf.Rogalsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de> a écrit :

> Frédéric BOITEUX wrote:
> > $ sfdisk -s -q
> >
> > return nothing !
> This problem seems to be unrelated to fai. On my "HP ML350 G3" sfdisk
> returns :
>
> /dev/cciss/c0d0:  35565360
> /dev/cciss/c0d1: 430116277
> total: 465681637 blocks
>
> Did you activate the disk in the BIOS?

  I've finally succeeded to install my machine, patching FAI's setup_harddisk
script, as Thomas suggested me.

  When I start my system on the hard disk (on raid array), with devfs,

sfdisk works :

$ sfdisk -s
/dev/cciss/disc0/disc: 35561280
total: 35561280 blocks

It's not a problem of devfs because you don't seem to use it.

I don't understand why it doesn't work with the FAI kernel (problem with configuration ?
I've a home-built kernel for FAI from debian kernel 2.4.24, and it works for others machines...)

	Anyway, thanks for your info,

		Cheers,

		Fred.

--