Cannot boot the installation kernel

Arcady Genkin agenkin-lst-fai at thpoon.com
Wed Oct 15 00:21:26 CEST 2003

I am trying to use FAI to install a machine, but cannot boot the
installation kernel (from fai-kernels-1.5.3) neither from a floppy nor
over the network.  The booting process halts after printing the
following:

  Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

Then nothing happens.  FWIW, I successfully booted this machine from
the official Debian installation CD-ROM (2.2.20-idepci)...

The machine that I am trying to install is one of these:

http://www.eurocom.com/products/showroom/specselectnew.cfm?model_id=80

Perhaps it has some funky hardware that is not supported by the
default FAI kernel.  Would anyone have a clue where I should start
digging?  I tried building a custom installation kernel (2.4.22),
specifying PIII as the CPU type (the box has a 2.2GHz Celeron), but
this didn't help. :(

Many thanks in advance,
--
Arcady Genkin : CDF Systems Administrator
http://www.cdf.toronto.edu/~agenkin/contact.html

guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders (E.E. Cummings)