mixed version packages

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 19 00:31:58 CET 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:21:55PM -0800, Sean Ellis wrote:
> I have been using the stable branch for my systems. Yesterday I
> discovered that a package that I need must come from the testing branch.
> I was wondering how to include this among the packages to be added. Put
> the deb file and dependencies in the repository defined in fai.conf
> perhaps?
a package from testing will nearly never install into a stable system,
mostly because of versioned shared library dependencies.

The only way to make this work cleanly is a "backport" (you can find a
list of existing backports on www.apt-get.org).
making a backport yourself is a non-trivial task in most cases and you
should at least have basic experience in building debian packages.

--
c u
henning