RFC: new location of configuration space

Frank Lenaerts lenaerts.frank at pandora.be
Tue May 20 23:27:42 CEST 2003

on Tue, May 20, 2003 at 02:10:33PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote about RFC: new location of configuration space:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> some folks remarked that the default location for the
> configuration space (currently /usr/local/share/fai) may be changed to
> /usr/share/... (I propose to use /usr/share/fai/config). Which
> location are you using with your fai installation? What do you think
> about a new default location? Are there some technical reason for a
> certain location?

I use /home/fai/config (by setting FAI_CONFIGDIR in
/etc/fai/fai.conf):

- I want to be able to mount /usr read-only.

- I don't have a separate /usr/local (i.e. it is on /usr)

- As the configuration space is very small (even less than 1MB), it
  isn't worth having a separate volume | partition for it (to mount it
  on /usr/local/share/fai).

- Although /usr/local should not be touched by Debian packages, it
  seems that packages like emacs and zsh put directories in
  /usr/local/share anyway. I prefer to have a clear separation between
  what is installed by packages and what I configure (add scripts,
  change configuration files, ...).

- Because everything inside the configuration space is done by user
  fai anyway (at least in my case), I decided to just put it in the
  homedir of user fai.

- Remark that I use a separate volume (about 200MB) for
  /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot, to keep it separate from the normal /usr stuff
  and because it is quite large.

lenaerts.frank at pandora.be

Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
-- Henry Spencer