ssh - no added security?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Mar 25 16:02:59 CET 2003

In a message dated: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:40:04 EST
Mark Hedges said:

>There would need to be away to encrypt the NFS mount.
>Is this possible?

You can tunnel NFS over ssh if you want to, but it might be rather
slow, I don't know, I've never tried it.

You'd have to force rpc.mountd on the server to use a specific port
and not portmappter though.  Then do somehting like this on the
client:

	ssh -N -L  5555:bldsvr-eth1:6666 faisvr &

where 5555 would be the host on the local system you want to connect
over, and 6666 would be the port you've configured rpc.mountd to
listen to on the FAI server.

There was an article about this in Linux Journal a few months back
that might be worth finding.

HTH,

--

Seeya,