hostname and /fai/files

Rene Cunningham rene at dcnut.com
Wed Jun 4 15:46:58 CEST 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:17:25PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > Currently we are setting HOSTNAME by appending the last part of
>     > the IPv4 address (which the install client receives via dhcp) to
>     > a hostname prefix, e.g. fainode-99. Is there a way to get the
>     > given dhcp hostname and take it as the hostname?
> The install clients should receive their host names when you have this
> line in your dhcpd.conf file:
>
> use-host-decl-names on;
What then specifies the hostname for the client?

I use this in my dhcpd.conf

option host-name "bigfoot";

Although i am looking for an alternative to setting the hostname, such
as being able to specify the hostname when lilo loads.

What are the other ways to specify hostname's for install clients to
allow them to belong to certain classes? Being able to type the hostname
on the client would be ideal (i know this defeats the purpose of being
fully automated), not the install server. I suppose i could add this function into /fai/scripts/. Forgive me if this is already in the documentation.

--

Rene Cunningham
DCNUT Pty Ltd