trying to use FAI-FIXED-IP bootfloppy it can't mount /usr/loc al/share/fai it would seem...

Walter Tautz wtautz at math.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 2 22:21:06 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, BARRY,TIM (HP-FtCollins,ex1) wrote:

> Walter,
>
> I wonder if modules.conf triggering a look for eth1..eth4 to
> be aliased to a driver.  That is an entry like:
>
> alias eth1	eepro100
> alias eth2	eepro100

it would seem that eth0 is not being configured.. the server has
not such aliases by the way.... should I be creating /etc/modules.conf
in the bootfloppy...?

configuration fails since it can't seem to find eth0 interface....

it would seem that kernel nfs root mount phase differs from the mount of
of the config space...or at least this is the way it looks
since mount on the server never shows that it is mounting
/usr/local/share/fai....

the weird thing is that if I use a dhcp approach it does work.... presumably
there is some key piece of info that the dhcp server gave to the kernel that
my static config is missing? Unfortunately I can not use dhcp in
the general network environment ...at least not one I can control...I only
got it to work by connecting the client to the 2nd nic...via an intellinet
switch

Q: any pointers on the method of setting up private subnets like 192.168. in
particular so that clients can connect to the outside world...presumably
I need ipmasq ..in any case this is a different issue.

> You likely know this, but may need to make sure that
> any key ether, scsi, etc drivers are best built into the
> vmlinuz that you use to boot.  I've found that
> without doing this, my mileage with getting nfs root to
> work has not been successful.  Just my experience.

thanks..I'll try this

> What does ethereal at the server show?  Is it getting
> everything on the net it expects wrt portmaps, rpc
> calls, etc?

never used this program.... until you mentioned it I wasn't aware of
it :-(