fai without dhcp

Sune Rastad Bahn srb at dmi.dk
Mon Jul 21 09:55:24 CEST 2003

Dale Harris skrev:
> Hey,
>
> Is it possible to use FAI without dhcp?  Basically have a cluster, but I
> don't presently control the network, the addresses are provided by dhcp,
> but I don't have any control over that server and the net admins are
> pretty busy/unresponsive.  So basically I'm looking for a way to work
> around that little problem.

We had a similar problem and got around by using bootp.
This protocol is rarely in use, and even if it is, the server wont answer just
any bootp request but only from those client with a registered mac-adress.
Compare this with dhcp which (often) has a default answer to clients with a
macadress not in the dhcpd conf.

We use grub patched to only reply to bootp, and this does the job for us, even
though were working on a network with a windows dhcp-server.

--
---------
Sune