fai/class separation

Recycle Computer hedges at recyclecomputer.com
Fri Jan 17 00:00:40 CET 2003

Thomas Lange wrote:

 >My preference is: Keep it simple!
 >
 >    > I'd like to keep my own classes as separate as possible and not
 >    > touch the builtin classes and scripts if possible.  Something
 >    > like:
 >But you will always have the freedom to define the classes as you
 >like. It you dislike fai-class, just write a hook
 >task_defclass.DEFAULT and you can do whatever you want.

Nested classes work fine to define dependencies and hierarchy anyway
with package_config/*, class/[CLASS].var and class/[CLASS] files.  To
order the operation of things, write hooks at different points to do
things that need ordered operation.

It would be nice to specify a root class defined on the floppy via
make-fai-bootfloppy, so I didn't have to change nis-domain in
/etc/dhcpd.conf every time I want to stamp a different configuration.
I converted to dynamic IP because MAC addresses are not constant here.
Yes, testing does take a lot of time!

With business-minded fai-users among you in Euroland and elsewhere near
computer surplus supply, I am interested in a co-operative arrangement
between our respective 'companies' to share methods and effort.  After
all, I cannot re-export code I imported....(?)  We can take advantage of
the "planned obsolescence" of commercial operating systems.

--mark--

--
Recycle Computer -- "Your b2b Linux computer factory!"
2260 Chanticleer Ave. Suite 10-A    +1-831-AKA-SBOX