MD5 Support

Niall Young niall at chime.net.au
Fri Feb 7 02:59:57 CET 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 senaque at thepla.net wrote:

> concrete things. In Chapter 5 of the Debian Policy Manual (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-
> policy/ch-miscellaneous.html) it specifically states:
>
> "Since an interactive debian/rules script makes it impossible to auto-compile that package and
> also makes it hard for other people to reproduce the same binary package, all required targets
> MUST be non-interactive."
> Am I to understand the passwd program _should_ actually be able to install non-interactively if it is
> to comply with the Debian policy?

I think there's two parts to that - debconf and custom interaction in
preinst/postinst scripts.  It's currently Debian policy to *recommend*
debconf be used for all user interaction during configuration, and
there's been a discussion on debian-devel to change this to a policy of
*only* debconf being used.  The second point of the discussion was to
ensure that every package would be required to install cleanly in
Noninteractive mode.

So, as far as I know, neither are mandated yet.

Niall Young                                    Chime Communications Pty Ltd
niall at chime.net.au                            Level 6, 263 Adelaide Terrace
Ph: (+61) 08 9213 1330 / 0408 192 797         Perth, Western Australia 6000

     "there's a lot of movement in my trousers at the moment"
                                     -- Dennis Kristofich, Sep 2002