raid 1 setup with setup_harddisks by Sam Vilain

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Tue Dec 16 23:15:32 CET 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:27, Joachim Schmitz wrote;

  > first I had to change line 480 in setup_harddisks to
  > $result = `sh -c "LC_ALL=C sfdisk /dev/hda /dev/hdc -g -q" 2>&1;
  > otherwise sfdisk stops with unknown devices.

Oh, that sucks.  I mentioned in another mail to the list that `sfdisk'
doesn't detect any SCSI disks past /dev/sde.  I thought it was safe to
list disks that are not present on your system, obviously it isn't.
Hmm.  The workaround for that won't be easy.

The other warnings looked benign enough to me too.  I've fixed them
anyway, if you're interested, but left the above line as it was; it
also prints more to the log about the actual RAID setup:

  http://vilain.net/linux/fai/setup_harddisks

Not sure why it moaned about the `/proc/mdstat: not found'.  I don't
know how it could have worked at all without that there.

  > the script to setup a grub-boot for this setup, which was posted here:
  > http://www.uni-koeln.de/bin2/maillist/linux-fai/20031105.181914/163187

Oh, did you pass the device on the command line?

eg

  do_grub_install /dev/md0

Sam Vilain, sam at vilain.net

Real computer scientists work from 5 pm to 9 am because that's the
only time they can get the 8 megabytes of main memory they need to
edit specs.  (Real work starts around 2 am when enough MIPS are free
for their dynamic systems.) Real computer scientists find it hard to
share 3081s when they are doing 'REAL' work.