DHCP requests ... Timed out!

Fri Aug 15 17:59:29 CEST 2003

Oh, no subject line?

    > Sending DHCP requests ........ Timed out!  IP-Config: Retrying
    > forever (NFS root)...

    > over and over.  Now, when I have the DHCPD daemon running on the
    > server machine, I'm seeing DHCPDISCOVER's and DHCPOFFER's being
    > made but no DHCPREQUEST's coming from the client although the
    > machine says it's sending requests.
Use tcpdump to see if the broadcast packets from the install clients
can be seen on the install server.

    > install server and obtain an IP.  However, with the FAI boot
    > floppy, it sits there and "supposedly" spins on DHCPREQUESTs
    > forever, however I'm not seeing it at all on the install server.
How did you connect the server and the client? Do you have a Cisco
switch between them? Try another switch, hub or use a crossover
cable. I also have problems when using a Cisco switch. The linuk
kernel sends only some DHCP packets before reseting the netwoprk
interface. But some switches need more time to let the first packaets
pass trough it.

Maybe tuning these parameters in
kernel-source-2.4.20/net/ipv4/ipconfig.c will help:

/* Define the timeout for waiting for a DHCP/BOOTP/RARP reply */
#define CONF_OPEN_RETRIES       2       /* (Re)open devices twice */
#define CONF_SEND_RETRIES       6       /* Send six requests per open */

--
Thomas