newbie having troubles..... please help

B. Ash bash at eece.unm.edu
Fri Apr 4 00:04:02 CEST 2003

Hi,

I am new to fai, and I am having trouble with the fai-setup portion of
the install.  I keep receiving these errors after I get this.

"util-linux pre-depends on slang1 (>> 1.3.0-0)
   slang1 is unpacked, but has never been configured.
dpkg: warning - ignoring pre-dependency problem !
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl"

Looking for keymap to install:
NONE
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE

here is my config... I am sure I just don't quite get it.

# $Id: fai.conf,v 1.70 2003/04/03 09:38:34 lange Exp $

# /etc/fai/fai.conf -- configuration for FAI (Fully Automatic Installation)

installserver=kueppers
httpserver=sluglug.ucsc.edu
#ftpserver=ftp.debian.org
debdist=woody # distribution: woody, sarge, sid

#FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="$debdist ftp://$ftpserver/debian"
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="$debdist http://$httpserver/debian"
#FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="$debdist file:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian"
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--arch i386
--exclude=pcmcia-cs,ppp,pppconfig,pppoe,pppoeconf,dhcp-client"

# Location of the Debian mirror; this is used for creating the nfsroot
# and for installing packages on the install clients
#
# - FAI_SOURCES_LIST can contain more than one line
#   there you can use nfs, ftp or http access. If undefined, FAI will
#   use /etc/fai/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list instead
# - if FAI_DEBMIRROR is defined, install clients mount it to $MNTPOINT

# Access to an official Debian mirror via FTP or HTTP
FAI_SOURCES_LIST="deb ftp://$ftpserver/debian $debdist main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US $debdist/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb ftp://$ftpserver/debian $debdist-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ $debdist/updates main contrib non-free"

# Access to Debian mirror created by mkdebmirror
FAI_SOURCES_LIST="deb http://$httpserver/debmirror/debian $debdist main
contrib non-free
deb http://$httpserver/debmirror/debian-non-US $debdist/non-US main
contrib non-free
deb http://$httpserver/debmirror/debian $debdist-proposed-updates main
contrib non-free
deb http://$httpserver/debmirror/debian-security/ $debdist/updates main
contrib non-free"

#
# Access to Debian mirror via NFS mounted directory
#
# NFS remote location of mirror
#FAI_DEBMIRROR=$installserver:/files/scratch/debmirror
# mount point where the mirror will be mounted;
# must not be used by other filesystems
#MNTPOINT=/mnt2
# define both MNTPOINT and FAI_DEBMIRROR or none
#FAI_SOURCES_LIST="deb file:$MNTPOINT/debian $debdist main contrib non-free
#deb file:$MNTPOINT/debian/ $debdist-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
#deb file:$MNTPOINT/debian-non-US $debdist/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb file:$MNTPOINT/debian-security/ $debdist/updates main contrib non-free"

# local repository
# this repository holds your local packages that can be installed to
# the install clients
FAI_LOCAL_REPOSITORY="deb file:/fai/files packages/"

# extra packages which will be installed into nfsroot
# add lvm, raidtools2 only if needed
NFSROOT_PACKAGES="expect"

# the encrypted root password on all install clients during
# installation process; used when log in via ssh; pw is: fai
FAI_ROOTPW="56hNVqht51tzc"

# location of a identity.pub file; this user can log to the install
# clients in as root without a password; only useful with FAI_FLAGS="sshd"
#SSH_IDENTITY=/home/admin/.ssh/identity.pub

# this kernel package will be used when booting the install clients
KERNELPACKAGE=/usr/lib/fai/kernel/kernel-image-2.4.20_fai1_i386.deb

# Beowulf nodes can only connect to their master server - called
# atom00 for the clients - so they must know it during
# installation. This line will be added to $nfsroot/etc/hosts
#NFSROOT_ETC_HOSTS="192.168.42.250 atom00"

# if your install server has multiple ethernet device, use this one to
# determine its hostname. Default eth0. Set to the interface to which
# the Beowulf clients are connected.
SERVERINTERFACE=eth0

# LOGUSER: an account on the install server which saves all log-files
# and which can change the kernel that is booted via
# network. Configure .rhosts for this account and PAM, so that root can
# log in from all install clients without password. This account
# should have write permissions for /boot/fai. For example, you can use
# write permissions for the group linuxadm. chgrp linuxadm
# /boot/fai;chmod g+w /boot/fai. If the variable is undefined, this
# feature is disabled
LOGUSER=fai
# use ssh or rsh for copying log files to user fai and for changing
# tftp symbolic link
FAI_REMOTESH=rsh
FAI_REMOTECP=rcp

# the configuration space on the install server
FAI_CONFIGDIR=/usr/local/share/fai
# the location of the config space, as seen by the install client
# this should be <install server>:$FAI_CONFIGDIR
# it can also be overwritten in T170 via BOOTP and DHCP
FAI_LOCATION=$installserver:$FAI_CONFIGDIR

# which of DHCP and/or BOOTP should the server create setups for.
# Default are to create setups for both
FAI_BOOT="dhcp bootp"

#
# the following variables are read only for most users
#

# directory on the install server where the nfsroot for FAI is
# created, approx size: 160MB, also defined in bootptab or dhcp.conf
NFSROOT=/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot

# the local configuration directory on the install client
FAI=/fai

# the type of operating system (linux, sunos)
OS_TYPE=`uname -s |  tr /A-Z/ /a-z/`