fai & dhcp3

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Sep 23 19:05:11 CEST 2002

Hi all,

This is probably more a question for the dhcp list, but I'm not on
that one :)

I noticed that certain options for FAI get passed in from the dchp
server which are custom "vendor" options.  Such as:

	option fai-location code 170 = text;
	option fai-action code 171 = text;
	option fai-flags code 172 = text;

And, when the client is being installed, the function get_dhcp_info()
is invoked.  This function apparently does little more than call
the 'dhclient' command in order to populate the dhcp.log file and
eval the variables set in the output of 'dhclient'.

The output of dhclient results in a bunch of assignments like:

	FAI_LOCATION='bldsvr:/usr/local/share/fai'
	FAI_ACTION='install'
	FAI_FLAGS='verbose createvt sshd'

My question is, how do the options/variables set in the DHCP config
file go from lower-case  hyphenated names to uppercase, underscored
names.  IOW, the option 'fai-location' becomes 'FAI_LOCATION'.

Yet, when I set a new option, for instance:

	option fai-node code 173 = text;
	option fai-node "storage";

instead of getting what I expect:

	FAI_NODE='storage'

I get:

	reserved173='storage'

Any idea why this is so, and how I get 'reserved173' to be replaced
with the option name like the other FAI codes?

Thanks,

--

Seeya,
Paul