unable to open an initial console WAS: FAI, RAID, booting

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Sep 19 16:45:18 CEST 2002

In a message dated: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:47:19 +0200
Geert Stappers said:

>>    Warning: unable to open an initial console
>>    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>
>I had that also a time ago.
>The kernel I build myself hadn't Virtual Terminal support.
>
>Check your kernel config for  CONFIG_VT and CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE

	# grep -i vt .config
	CONFIG_VT=y
	CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

I don't think that's it.  This problem almost definitely has to do
with booting off a RAID set, since I'm using the same kernel I was
before I tried booting off a RAID set, and the kernel works fine in
that case.

>I assume nothing

Neither do I :)

Thanks!