several kernels?

Geert Stappers Geert.Stappers at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 17 22:55:16 CEST 2002

At 18:35 +0200 9/17/02, Michael Renner wrote:
>Moin,
>I need to have several kernels on my maschines, the users may have the
>possibility to choose one of them.
>But when I put the name of a kernelpackage to ... lets say
>fai/disk_config/MY_CLASS the non interactiv installation fails due there is
>no $target/etc/lilo.conf and no /vmlinuz at this moment. The kernel which is
>installed by FAI is installed as one as the last things, also the lilo.conf
>is generated as one on the latest steps.

Users selecting kernels?
I can't figure out for what use, but it is your party.

>Any ideas beside to create a kernelpackage without the postinst and preinst
>scripts?

Install the several kernels on a system.
Take the /boot/vmlinuz.x.y.z's and /boot/config.x.y.z's to the FAI server
Unistall the several kernels

Make a "fai copy" entry in your install sequence
Install a lilo.conf that is aware the several kernels.

>Thanks

Contributions to FAI are welcome, other feedback also.

Geert St