setting $HOSTNAME during install

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Oct 28 14:12:07 CET 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:27:44 +0100
Bert De Vuyst <bert.devuyst at intec.rug.ac.be> wrote:

> >     > Hello,
> >     >
> >     > When you boot a FAI floppy, it sets HOSTNAME=ip-number.  The
> >
> > Did you use the hn tag in your /etc/bootptab ?
> > If not, the IP address will be send by the BOOTP server, instead of
> > the hostname.
>
> I will look at it, but I forgot to say I'm using DHCP.

Put this line somewhere in the beginning of /etc/dhcpd.conf:

use-host-decl-names on;

Then you make one section for each host in your network like this:

host YourFavouriteHostname {
    hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
### in cas you need this:
#   fixed-address 10.0.0.2;
}

Then the host with the specified mac address will be configured with
hostname "YourFavouriteHostname".

> Bert.

Felix

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___