directory permissions

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Oct 28 00:43:17 CET 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:11:20 +0100
Bert De Vuyst <bert.devuyst at intec.rug.ac.be> wrote:

> I did create a FAI setup with a separate partition for /tmp and /var/mail.
> After the installation, both directories have the permission 755. (Must be
> 1777 for /tmp)
> Do I have to set the permissions in a configuration script? Or is it a bug in
> my setup.

755 looks like default permissions for a directory. When a filesystem is
mounted the permissions of the mount point (/tmp on root partition) have
no effect on the permissions of the mounted filesystem. You'll probably
have to add a line like this in one of the config scripts:

chmod 1777 $target/tmp

Hmm, /etc/rcS.d/S55bootmisc.sh deletes the tmp dir on bootup. Fixing the
permissions could be done there as well. May be a wishlist item for the
Debian bug tracking system ;-)

> I'm running debian 3.0, with FAI 2.3.1 and fai-kernel 1.2 (part of debian 3.0)
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Bert.

Regards,
   Felix