scsi problems

Mark Hedges hedges at scruzbox.com
Fri Oct 18 19:28:03 CEST 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Geert Stappers wrote:

> >> kernel during  FAI install
> >> is not the same as the one that is installed
> >
> >Which is which?
> The FAI install kernel is on the TFTP server (unpacked)
> The one that is gonna installed, is in the debian archive ( in a package )

I created a kernel_image package using make-kpkg.  I put this in
/usr/lib/fai/kernel/ and changed /etc/fai/fai.conf to use this
package as KERNELPACKAGE.

Do I use the TFTP server?  I use a floppy boot disk created with
a custom light-weight kernel with all the Ethernet drivers.  Is
this the kernel that must support all SCSI, or the one unpacked
to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19?  The boot floppy
mounts the root partition with NFS.  Which package unpacks to
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/boot?  Documentation confused me.

Apparently there was no config file available, as I recall.
Maybe the SCSI on-board adapter cable is loose.  I plugged in an
IDE drive to boot it; now /proc/scsi/scsi lists none attached.

Right now the strangest thing started happening.  fai-setup
reports that apt is missing, but apt is installed.  oops, I
think I put sid in my server's sources.list by mistake.
sawfish-gnome went haywire even after repair, but KDE works
fine still.  *LOL*! =)  There's no end to system admin.

--mark--