Future of FAI (fwd)

AUSTIN MURPHY amurphy at nbcs.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 27 17:20:08 CET 2002

Ok. I have a patch that implements this. Documentation too.

Doc:
http://toolbox.rutgers.edu/~amurphy/fai/rec_def_cls.txt

Patch:
http://toolbox.rutgers.edu/~amurphy/fai/subroutines.recur.diff
http://toolbox.rutgers.edu/~amurphy/fai/subroutines.recur.diff-Naur

1. read doc
2. write class specs
3. apply patch to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/usr/share/fai/subroutines

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Bruce  Edge wrote:

> This is so cool!! This is all just what I've been wanting. Great suggestions!!
>
> I think the class inheritance mechanism provided by a class
>   spec/config/whatever file is nice:

Thanks.

> I don't think that this spec file should make any reference
>  to the scripts/hooks/etc that are defined by the class. This just makes
>  it harder to add stuff to a class because you need to update the class
>  spec file too.

It doesn't.  Just classes and vars this time.

> One thing I'd like to see addressed it the order that the script directory is processed.
> Currently the scripts are run in the order the classes are defined.
> How about a scripts/XX.CLASSNAME.source filename format so you could use the XX as a number to control the execution order?

I think the ordering of classes is a conscious decision to tame
complexity.  Doing something like reordering classes breaks the concept.

It's all pretty easy.

Austin