questions and doubts

Dario Rossi dario at it.colt.net
Fri Nov 22 10:58:09 CET 2002

Hello all,
a few times ago i started trying FAI, but there is something i cannot get through..
I have indeed some problems with it but i can t guess if it s in my Debian installation or in me : ).
Sorry about this long Email but i tried to put in everything to make clear all my mess of doubts.

Well i set up a server running Woody (it s an HP LC2000) and i made it also a Debian Mirror.
Is a problem to  have the FAI server and the Debian Mirror on the same machine?

This Server has two interfaces: 1 with a public ip address, the other with a private one; the installation must be done through the private one (eth1).
I installed DHCP, and configured it.

I prepared a kernel .deb package, with an optimized kernel (2.4.18) for the server to install (all HP LC2000 LT6000, equipped with Megaraid SCSI contorller and etherexpresspro).I tested the package on a running machine, and it s ok.

I attach my fai.conf file for clarifications

While esecuting fai-setup i receive some dpkg warnings about dependencies,
----------
( E.G. dpkg pre-depends on libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>= 1:2.95.4-0.010810)
dpkg: warning - ignoring pre-dependency problem !
dpkg: dpkg: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you request:
dpkg depends on libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4); however:
Package libc6 is not installed.)
----------
but as shown in the manual this should be ok.
After it  creates base.tgz i have a recursive error about locales :
--------
Creating base.tgz
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "it_IT"
---------
Being warnings i don't care too much anyway.
Infact the program exit with a "FAI setup finished.".

The first Test i made was to boot the client from network and being equipped with Intel etherexpress i installed tftp-hpa to support PXE:
what happened was that i could not see a single boot request on the net... because the Ethernet is not shipped by default with the PROM to do the network boot !!!(DOH!)

Then to start i made a floppy with make-fai-bootfloppy, with the previous configuration.
The result was that in the boot process i had the following error
--------
Error 0x10
--------
I examined the make-fai-bootfloppy script and i noticed that it define the varible  all=$(ls $NFSROOT/boot/System.map-*), but  NFSROOT is not defined in the script, so i guessed it must be defined globally so i did and the output of the creation of the floppy was:

 Your machine has multiple network interfaces:   eth0
  eth1
  Specify which one will be used for FAI (eg. eth1): eth1
  Using interface eth1 with IP address: 10.39.4.9
  mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
  Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
  Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems
  Added FAI-DHCP *
  Writing boot data to floppy.
  boot protocol : DHCP
  nfsroot       : 10.39.4.9:/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
  parameters    :
  The kernel configuration is /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/boot/config-2.4.19-DHCP

That it seems ok to me...but at boot i got the same Error 0x10...
BAH!

Can some1 show me the light?

Ciao
Dario