Debconf Was: Etherconf (fwd)

Matthew Palmer mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au
Wed May 1 06:16:59 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 bblack at superiorbroadband.com wrote:

> > Aah, I see.  <grovels with apt-cache>  Hmm, debconf module it isn't, but I
> > see it's potential use.  Not quite sure why it should be part of the default
> > FAI config though.  Surely, you should seed the values into your debconf DB
> > and install etherconf yourself?
>
> Sorry if i can find this info someplace else but what exactly are
> people doing to "seed" debconf data.  I tried append/cating data to
> the end of /var/cache/debconf/confif.dat and it worked as i recall.

Yup, that'll work if you've specified /var/cache/debconf/confif.dat as a DB
file.  There are a variety of different methods to store Debconf config data
- one of them is an LDAP backend I wrote, which means you can store all the
config for all your machines in a centralised LDAP DB.  Using the lovely
stacking driver, you can even have a general config DB (for everything that
is common to all machines) and have an overriding DB for each machine, which
contains settings unique to each machine (like hostname, IP address, etc).

> Maybe i should read some debconf docs.

debconf.conf(5) contains all sorts of interesting things.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au