Toward a robust package installation ?...

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 7 11:56:35 CET 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 05:16:47PM +0100, Ronan KERYELL wrote:

> I play with the FAI for few monthes but it is not in production because it
> fails always for some reason and because I am a Debian ignorant (for
> example around mkdivert and so on). But I try to improve this last
> point. :-)

> One reason is that if there is only one package broken, it fails. For
> example :
> chroot /tmp/target apt-get -y --fix-missing ... j2sdk1.3 ...
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...

> Sorry, psmisc is already the newest version.
> Package j2sdk1.3 has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
> E: Package j2sdk1.3 has no installation candidate
> ERROR: 25600 25600

This is a bug of apt-get. It would be nice if apt-get could list all
packages that has this problem, but currently apt-get only reports the
first packages and then exits. A bug report to the apt team would be
very nice. install_packages can test if a package name is misspelt,
but it can't look for this error.

--
Gruss Thomas