Mulithomed systems?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Jun 28 20:38:53 CEST 2002

Hi all,

The NETWORK/S40 script does a pretty decent job of setting up the
networking side of a client at install time.  However, I have systems
which have 3 NICS in them.  Currently I have only the need to
configure 2 of the 3.

Configuring eth0 using the NETWORK/S40 method will work fine, but I'm
a little stuck on configuring the second, eth1, interface.

My problem is, how do I determine what the interface characteristics
should be?  The obvious answers are NIS or DNS queries, however, for
a variety of reasons, I do not have either NIS or DNS available to me
now.

Has anyone else faced this type of scenario before?  If so, how did
you attack the problem?

I can brute-force the solution with a bunch of shell/perl scripts,
etc. but am looking for any elegant solutions others might have.

My solution at this point (in theory at least) is to grep a hosts file
and attempt to assign interface information based on host names.

One question I have is related to the NETWORK/S40 script.  Within
that script, and most others I've looked at, liberal use is made of
variables which are defined somewhere outside of that script.

Where are these variables initialized, btw?

Thanks!
--

Seeya,
Paul