fai/classes/S*.source executable check bugfix

Paul Lussier pll at lanminds.com
Tue Jun 25 14:32:47 CEST 2002

In a message dated: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:46:29 +0200
Thomas Lange said:

>    > Follows a patch to allow running of .source files in fai/classes
>    > that are not marked as executables.
>
>This is a feature, not a bug. Files must be executable to be used by
>fai. This will not be changed.

But do source files need to be executable?

I don't actually see a major benefit from either position.  It seems
that neither standpoint has any great benefit to offer which can't
also be arrived at easily some other way, thereby still allowing you
to enjoy what little benefit you think you have in the first place.
I can see if the debate were about shell scripts, but source files?

You don't normally need a file which is to be sourced to be executable.
I readily agree that anything which is a script (i.e. .sh, .pl, .tcl, etc.)
needs to be marked as executable, otherwise it can't run autonomously.
But .source files aren't run autonomously, they're sourced from within
another script which needs to use the variable declarations within
the .source file.  In actuality, a .source file has no need to be
executable.  Actually, for that matter, they have no need *not* be
executable either.

I can't actually see how having them one way or another is beneficial
or detrimental.  Currently, there seems no major benefit from
requiring them to be executable.  And sourcing them regardless of
their executable status seems to imply no greater benefit other than
that you now no longer have to ensure each source file is set as executable.

So, other than saving yourself an occasional 'chmod a+x foo.source',
what greater benefit is served by not having to do this?  And, on the
contrary side, what benefit is derived by forcing them to be set as
executabe?

Thanks,
--

Seeya,