MD5 passwords

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Thu Jun 20 15:27:29 CEST 2002

Andrew Pollock <andrew-fai at andrew.net.au> wrote:

> > echo "set passwd/md5 true" | debconf-communicate
> > DEBIAN_FRONTEND=Noninteractive dpkg-reconfigure passwd
> Every day's a school day. This does indeed make configuration much
> easier. Thanks for the information.

perhaps I should also mention the command

debconf-show package

To show all of the debconf config settings for a package

Also, if you add another database to /etc/debconf.conf, eg with the
following lines:

  Name: faidb
  Driver: DirTree
  Directory: /path/to/nfsroot/var/cache/debconf/fai
  Readonly: false

Then you can use

  debconf-copydb configdb faidb

So that this configuration is in a more managable directory structure.

Then change the line

  Config: configdb

  Config: faidb

To make the directory tree structure the default one.

Then you could make your debconf.conf this on the clients:

Config: stack
Templates: templatedb

Name: configdb
Driver: File
Filename: /var/cache/debconf/config.dat

Name: templatedb
Driver: File
Mode: 644
Filename: /var/cache/debconf/templates.dat

Name: faidb
Driver: DirTree
Directory: /var/cache/debconf/fai
Readonly: true
Required: false

Name: stack
Driver: Stack
Stack: faidb, configdb

And then if there is a configuration database in /var/cache/debconf/fai
available, it will use that for defaults.

Note: I'm not sure if the above will work with FAI, but it should give you
an idea of how you could avoid having to write scripts to configure
packages that are configured through debconf.
---
   Sam Vilain, sam at vilain.net     WWW: http://sam.vilain.net/
    7D74 2A09 B2D3 C30F F78E      GPG: http://sam.vilain.net/sam.asc
    278A A425 30A9 05B5 2F13

  What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything ?
VINCENT van GOGH