BOOTP and fai-install server on different machines

Marc Martinez lastxit+fai at technogeeks.org
Wed Jun 19 23:04:33 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:46:05AM -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
> So, I don't think it's possible that the options will ever get more
> standardized/descriptive names than this.  Also, in ISC's dhcp 3.x
> series server, the 'option option-XXX' syntax has changed completely,
> which is why this server won't work with the current dhcp examples/
> descriptions in the FAI documentation.
>
> I believe it is *possible* to use dhcp 3.x for FAI, it's just a

it's very easy to use dhcp3 with fai, with only minimal changes from
the shipping example config.

basically it boils down to an extra step of defining the vendor class
options and then referencing them by name instead of the old
option-### syntax.  so where the example has this:

option option-170 "FAISERVER:/usr/local/share/fai";  # FAI_LOCATION
option option-171 "sysinfo";                         # FAI_ACTION
option option-172 "verbose createvt sshd";           # FAI_FLAGS
option root-path "/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot";

my running configs look like this:

# setup the FAI "vendor class" options
option fai-location code 170 = text;
option fai-action code 171 = text;
option fai-flags code 172 = text;

option fai-location "FAISERVER:/usr/local/share/fai";
option fai-action "sysinfo";
option fai-flags "verbose createvt sshd";
option root-path "/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot";

and in the host-specific entries, instead of:

  option option-171 "sysinfo";          # overwrite default FAI_ACTION

it looks like:

  option fai-action "sysinfo";          # overwrite default FAI_ACTION

does that clear it up for everybody?  the migration was very easy, and
I've had no abnormalities since migrating to the 3.x series.

Marc