BOOTP and fai-install server on different machines

James Russell RussellJ at louisdreyfus.com
Wed Jun 19 16:05:16 CEST 2002

greetings,

I am using loose terminology, but isn't there a DHCP options already
standardized in the RFC? If so, I believe there are tables that list the
standard option names with the isc option names. I don't entirely
understand the DHCP protocol, but is the name or the option number more
relevant to FAI installations? To give some background information to my
question, I recall the FAI docs containing references to options 170-172,
but not having descriptive names. With option numbers that high, it is
obvious they are non-standard options. Is that what Thomas is referring to
in the comment "There may be problems when using DHCP version 3.X, because some option
names has changed"? Is it possible that in future documentation, those names could get more
descriptive names? Are they PXE options or are they netboot options?

I think I'm answering my own questions by asking them.

thanks for your patience.
Jim

Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>
Sent by: owner-linux-fai at rrz.uni-koeln.de