seeded debconf

David R Bacon dbacon at cis.ksu.edu
Sat Jul 27 04:53:23 CEST 2002

Hello all, this is a success/progress report.

I'm using FAI to install a lab full of machines, and it's working great.
FAI is definitely impressive, and here's a few things I added to the mix.

I beat my head against debconf long enough, and I have pre-seeding
working nicely as a hook before softinst without using debconf-communicate
for each key.  I can now define a class and it's analogous debconf keys
will be added to the targets configdb using debconf-copydb, so task_instsoft
configures all of my packages correctly the 1st pass.  The ticket which
made it work for me is that each key must have the 'Flags: seen' for the
new package not to clobber it w/ the default.  I'm still searching
for the 'right' answer, if there is one...

Also, I made a default hook which calls all hooks in a subdirectory.
It is one script which can be symlinked for any task/class hook.
In doing so, I had to re-invent the stuff for executing shell and cfengine
scripts; did I miss something, or is there a reason it's missing for hooks?
I also had a thought while writing the cfengine part-- could there be some
FAI *function* to define classes? That way the classes could be appended to
some file parsable by cfengine This could eliminate the file-type detection
currently used, and let cfengine not appear so magical (#! notation is
currently non-standard, and it's not immediately clear how cf classes
get imported). I'll see if I have time to try this modification.

Cheers,
Dave