Abusing FAI: standalone auto-installation

Niall Young niall at chime.net.au
Tue Jul 23 13:33:27 CEST 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Niall Young wrote:
>
> > as one of the core methods, feeding it a pre-filled debconf database.
>
> I objected that I didn't see the use of debconf, and that I would prefer
> defaults to be taken from debconf in this case instead of setting to an
> empty string. I was replied that debconf is no registry, and that I can't
> expect anything when prefilling debconf.

I'm no debconf expert, but I thought that was the point - being able to
pre-set defaults and pre-fill entries which the package would take into
account when being installed.  Otherwise, what's the point - if we only
set entries but never read them..?  Maybe I'm just missing something,
I'll go read the docs.

Being able to seed or override debconf defaults non-interactively in FAI
would be very useful.

Niall Young                                    Chime Communications Pty Ltd
niall at chime.net.au                            Level 6, 263 Adelaide Terrace
Ph: 08 9213 1330 / 0408 192 797               Perth, Western Australia 6000