Starting implementation of CD installation

Marc SCHAEFER alphanet-linux-fai at alphanet.ch
Mon Jul 22 20:58:32 CEST 2002

Hi,

I have done some work towards using FAI on a CD-ROM only installation.
The concept is as follows:

   We store on a CD-ROM a boot image (kernel, with initrd), the FAI
   nfsroot, a set of FAI configuration files (instead of getting
   them via NFS). We also allow the use of a floppy where additional
   configuration/scripts can be used (e.g. class selection).

   On the CD-ROM, we also store packages. Note that we may also specify
   a specific /etc/apt/sources.list, and assuming the network was
   configured (e.g. with the floppy scripts), we will automatically install
   later versions of packages as required.

If someone wants to look at it, I would be grateful. It's on:

   http://search.alphanet.ch/~schaefer/FAI/

especially look at the NOTES file.