dhcp - nfsroot: FAI_LOCATION not defined

justin jtyme at kuhalabs.com
Wed Jan 30 22:47:26 CET 2002

Hello,

I just started trying to get fai up and running and I have a few questions
which I'm going to bundle into one mail for the sake of spam reduction.

I have a debian server running dhcp which also is serving up the nfsroot
which I'll be using for the install clients.  I created a boot disk using
make-fai-bootfloppy.

I'm able to obtain my dhcp information through kernel-level ip
autoconfiguration and can succcesfully mount the nfsroot.

My first question is when the install clients are coming up none of the
logs, nor log directories are being created or written to because its
being brought up as a read only filesystem.  The fix to make it read write
is simple enough, however I was wondering whether this would cause any
side effects that anyone is aware of.

Kernel Parameters being passed via bootfloppy: "auto BOOT_IMAGE=FAI-DHCP
ro root=ff NFSROOT=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot ip=dhcp"

Secondly and most importantly the startup seems to hang during
/etc/init.d/rcS and issues this error:

dhclient-2.2.x: no process killed
$FAI_LOCATION not defined.

The strange thing about this is that I have configured my DHCP server to
issue the FAI flags as outlined in the sample dhcpd.conf file issued with
fai.  I've included below my dhcpd.conf file.  One thing of note is that
the install seems to stop however I am left w/ a functioning bash shell.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-justin

<dhcpd.conf>

option dhcp-max-message-size 2048;
use-host-decl-names on;

option option-170 "faido:/usr/local/share/fai";          # FAI_LOCATION
option option-171 "sysinfo";                             # FAI_ACTION
option option-172 "verbose createvt sshd";               # FAI_FLAGS
option root-path  "/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot";                # ROOT_PATH

default-lease-time 360000;
max-lease-time 1000000;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

    range 192.168.0.140 192.168.0.160;
    option domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xx.xx,xxx.xxx.xxx.x;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
    server-name "faido";