sfdisk problem?

justin jtyme at kuhalabs.com
Fri Feb 1 19:45:00 CET 2002

Basically I'm trying to use fai w/ a patched 2.4.16 kernel and the install
is dying when it tries to partition the disks.  Here' s the relevant log
entry from rcS.log

<rcS.log>

Calling task_partition
+ task_partition
+ echo 'Partitioning local harddisks'
Partitioning local harddisks
+ setup_harddisks -X
+ '[' '!' -s /tmp/disk_var.sh ']'
+ cat /tmp/format.log
FAI: setup harddisks V0.14fai
disks found:

ERROR: no config file found
+ die 'Error: /tmp/disk_var.sh not found.'
+ echo Error: /tmp/disk_var.sh not found.
Error: /tmp/disk_var.sh not found.
+ exec bash
faido:/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/tmp# more format.log
FAI: setup harddisks V0.14fai
disks found:

ERROR: no config file found

</rcS.log>

Now I've basically tracked down the point where this is failing to
setup_harddisks where it calls sfdisk:

$result = `sh -c "LC_ALL=C sfdisk -d -q"`;

When I run this in the bash shell it returns the following error:

"modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-36"

I'm pretty sure this is because I'm using a modified kernel.
I'm curious if anyone knows what I need to satisfy this dependency, or if
there is another way to do this.  I'm attempting to install this on a
compaq DL380 w/ the SMART2 RAID Controller.  I've grabbed the latest
'setup_harddisks' and 'subroutines' from cvs.debian.org w/ the /dev/ida
patch as well.

Let me know what you think, especially if you're thinking that the problem
is something completely different.

Thanks,

-justin