Create a Local Mirror - 2

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 24 03:14:04 CET 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Sune Rastad Bahn wrote:

> d. Monday den 23. December 2002 00:36 skrev du:

> > W: file:/mirrors/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz was
> > corrupt I: Retrieving file:/mirrors/debian/dists/woody/Packages
> > E: Couldn't download adduser
> > chroot: cannot execute apt-get: no such file or directory
	This usually means that debootstrap thinks the MD5sum line does
not match the MD5sum in the Release file. I run into this in two ways:
  - I add a file to the mirror without recompiling the Release file.
  - I use the old version of my script, which makes the MD5sum file for
the zipped packages, then the unzipped packages. Unfortunately, I see that
is the version in the latest release.
	The problem here is that when you gunzip and then gzip the
Packages.gz file, the original Packages.gz file is *different* from the
one after gunzipping and re-gzipping. (I think the file size is
different) I do not know why this is the case,
but it is annoying. Subsequent gunzips and re-gzips do not change the
file, however.

	The solution, however, is simple: swap the "Print for
gzipped Packages.gz" and "Print for unzipped Packages" sections of the
script (since the last line of the unzipped packages rezips the Packages
file). The goal is to unzip and then rezip the Packages.gz file before
printing out any lines.

	Sorry for the annoyance. I guess I should release a new version of
our project soon.

- Paul