pool generation

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Mon Dec 2 17:51:43 CET 2002

> Here's mine.  It'd be great if your "-l" patch to
> install_packages could
> also generate all dependencies of those packages - make sure we have
> *everything* we need in the pool.  You could parse
> `dpkg-awk Package:^$package$ -- Depends` and append them to $packlist,
> keep generating dependencies until you reach the end.  Otherwise this
> build_repository script is pretty useless, we'll be missing a heap of
> dependencies and installs will break.  I could have done it here but
> your patch seems a better place.

You don't need to generate the dependencies in the install_packages script, that's the beauty of it, you rely on apt's dependency checking to pull in everything it needs.

I just verified that it does work that way. Try it with just one package and an empty repository, it'll grab all dependencies too. Here for strace it grabs libc and libdb:

 sudo apt-get -c /tmp/fai_conf_10875 -y install --reinstall strace
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libc6 libdb1-compat
  libc6 libdb1-compat strace
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 3452kB of archives. After unpacking 13.3MB will be used.
Get:1 copy: testing/main libdb1-compat 2.1.3-7 [30.8kB]
Get:2 copy: testing/main libc6 2.2.5-14.3 [3350kB]
Get:3 copy: stable/main strace 4.4-1.2 [72.0kB]
Fetched 3452kB in 0s (3996kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode

-Bruce