interactive postinst scripts

Marc Martinez lastxit+fai at technogeeks.org
Sat Aug 10 07:26:54 CEST 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:51:42PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> 	One thing the mail archives suggested was to install the package
> manually. In a hook (I have tried instsoft, updatebase, configure and
> finish) I try the following code:
> ---
> $ROOTCMD yes 'n' | apt-get --fix-missing install wvdial
> ---
>
> but all I get is the message:
>
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
[snip]
> 	Has anybody else run into this?

haven't had to do it myself, but I'd guess the | is being interpreted
by the script instead of being passed to the $ROOTCMD invocation.
I'd try it like so:

$ROOTCMD "yes 'n' | apt-get -y --fix-missing install wvdial"

note: I haven't actually examined the code in awhile and can't easily
verify it won't get interpreted somewhere else along the way, but
that'd be my approach to fixing it.

good luck,
Marc